You will be asked for an equivalent if:
- You want to follow a secondary education in Belgium.
- You want to follow a higher education.
- You want to follow a traineeship.
- You want to work or work as an independent. Every case is judged on its merits. Applications may be lodged either by the applicant or by the administration in the educational establishment where the foreign student is registered. The ‘equivalence’ units of the education authorities will explain to you how to complete the formalities.
- All the documents in the application for equivalence ratings must be accompanied by a translation made either by a certified translator or by the services at the Belgian embassy or consulate in the countries concerned, except for those written in German, English, Spanish, Italian, French and Dutch.
- The ‘ratification commission’ is also entitled to require foreign students to sit examinations. These students must always provide evidence that they have reached a certain standard in their own country to be admitted to follow, at equivalent levels, options offered to them under the Belgian education system.
For more details regarding the equivalence service
Go to the service’s internet at the following address:
Direction générale de l’enseignement obligatoire Service des équivalences
Rue A. Lavallée, 1 1080 Bruxelles
T 02 690 86 86 firstname.lastname@example.org
This site is very compact and gives you the exact steps to follow. Unfortunately, it’s only in French.
The Socrates-Erasmus programme is designed for University and Ecole Supérieure students who have completed a full year of studies. Scholarships are available so that the students can follow classes in a partner organisation. 30 countries participate in this programme.
Two interesting sites give you the different possibilities: www.aef-europe.be (FR)
Back to Education & Language Schools