The STIB, la société des transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles, groups together, a network of trams, metros and buses which serve the 19 municipalities of the Bruxelles region as well as 11 surrounding municipalities. The uncomplicated network and the existence of priority lanes reserved for public transport helps us to avoid traffic jams during rush hour and to get around town both quickly and pleasantly! STIB on TWITTER informs the public of disruptions/disturbances in real time.
69 pre-metro stations
4 metro lines
17 tram lines
50 bus lines
11 noctis lines
Where to buy a ticket or a
MOBIB Card ?
The Jump ticket is a ticket, to be used only once, the Mobib card is rechargeable, available in nominative or anonymous version (MOBIB Basic).
The MOBIB card is only available in the 6 “BOOTIK” and the 14 KIOSK.
MOBIB card is a card on which you can download the transport contract that you have chosen. You validate it every time you board. The different subscriptions can only be loaded on the nominative MOBIB card.
Tickets (traditional ticket with a magnetic strip called JUMP) and the subscription contracts for MOBIB card are available in :
- in the BOOTIK at the Rogier, Porte de Namur,Gare de l’Ouest, Midi Station, de Brouckère, and Roodebeek stations,
- in the "KIOSK" of underground stations,
- in the automatic vending machine “GO” in every station and the most important bus and tramway stops,
- in the buses of DE LIJN and TEC ((only JUMP ticket),
- in some retail outlets (only JUMP ticket),
- in SNCB railway stations (only JUMP ticket)
- the “BOOTIK” online stib.be
What are the different solutions
and fares ?
- Single fare:
2,10 € off vehicle - 2,50 € outside the vehicle.
- 5 tripS-fare JUMP: 8,00 €
- 10 tripS-fareJUMP : 14,00 €
- 1 day-fare JUMP : 7,00 €
Airportline : see below ,
School season ticket : from 0€ to 120€ depending on your family composition,
Children under 6 years-old can travel for free, between 6 and 12 it’s free too but you need a
Renew your school subscription here
Abonnement 65+ : 60 €
Online purchase option : here
The STIB website is a “must”, you will find all that you want to know about the largest Belgian urban public transport company:
- Making your travel plans from any place in Brussels to any other place becomes a game. Just enter two addresses or two desired stops.
- Timetables in real-time helps your organisation,
- The network maps give you an overview, you can pick up a detailed paper map in any metro station, in the OPT, and in any town hall. www.stib.be (FR/NL/EN)
- The traveller’s guide informs you about all their useful services …
- and their free Smartphone application is so user-friendly !
- By metro, tram or bus, each trip needs to be validated.
- Your ticket must be validated in the metro, trams and buses, unlike many other towns.
- Trams and buses run from 05.00am until 12.00 pm. On the weekend, there is a night service “Noctis”
- Trams and buses stop only on request, so please wave at the driver.
- Most important underground stations are accessible for persons with reduced mobility.
- Cycles are carried on metro and trams type 2000, 3000 and 4000, except from Monday to Friday from 7.50 am to 9.00 am and from 4.00 pm to 7.30 pm.
- Small dogs that can be held and guide dogs are allowed for free on public transportation.
- Trams have priority over all users, including pedestrians.
For assistance, fill in the form available on the website or contact phone number 070 /23 2000 Information : www.stib.be
To report any suspicious object or behaviour on the STIB network, form the 1707
Via the mobile website of the STIB "m.stib.be", you can check waiting times at the stops in real time as well as the timetables and network information.
Furthermore, in scanning the QR Code you can directly access the download of the application (app). Available at App store and Androïd market. You will find them on :
If you are an occasional traveller, you will use a paper ticket. If you are a regular user, the ideal thing is a MOBIB card, rechargeable, that you buy only once for 5€.
TEC: 5 Public transport companies active in the Walloon region.
De Lijn: The de Lijn bus travels in all of Flanders.
Buses TEC and DE LIJN leave from and arrive in Brussels.
To know more about Public Transport :
- Bruxelles : www.stib.be
- Flandre + Bruxelles :
www.delijn.be: the arrival and departure point of all the buses of the company DE LIJN is located at the level of platform 9 of the Brussels-North station. We are talking about 25 buses.
- Wallonia + Bruxelles :
Information: Métro, Tram, Bus
For Brussels National Airport, there is a special express connection up to and from the European quarter: 4 euros purchased outside the vehicle, 6 euros inside the vehicle.
The bus station is located on level 0 - one floor down from the arrivals hall - and can be easily reached by using the escalators or elevators.
Bruxelles-Nord (train station): lines 272 and 471
NATO: lines 272, 471 and 620
Underground station Roodebeek: lines 359 and 659
Brussels Expo: line 820
- In case of aggression call the metro police :
02 274 24 24
- Lost and found : Underground station of Porte de Namur, Monday and Wednesday from 12.00 am to 06.00 pm or call 070 23 2000
- You can set up your VILLO! subscription on your MOBIB Card : www.villo.be (FR/NL/EN)
- There are special and combined offers between STIB and CAMBIO (car sharing) :
- Noctis service and Collecto (taxi sharing
- from 11.00 pm to 03.00 am) are complementary: www.collecto.org (FR/NL)
The 'metropolitan' waterbus is an interregional and comfortable shuttle on the canal. It navigates between Brussels and Vilvoorde and brings you without the hassle of traffic jams or parking problems to your destination.
This canal shuttle reinforces the mobility of pedestrians and cyclists: many places along the Canal become easely accessible, such as new housing projects (Up-site tower,…), shopping centers (Docks, …) and recreation zones (Bruxelles les Bains…).
Simultaneously, the waterbus is an extension of the public transport, its 6 stops connect seamlessly with the existing bus, tram and subway stops. Several railway stations are at walking distance.
Brussels By Water
T 02 203 64 06
Brussels By Water
Quai des Péniches 2 – 1000 Brussels
Languages : FR, NL, EN
From May 1er till Octobre 31 (no reservation required, except groups >10 pers)
Back to Everyday Life & mobility