Since 1974, World Environment Day has been celebrated every year on 5 June, engaging governments, businesses and citizens in an effort to address pressing environmental issues.
This is our moment.
We cannot turn back time. But we can grow trees, green our cities, rewild our gardens, change our diets and clean up rivers and coasts. We are the generation that can make peace with nature.
Let’s get active, not anxious. Let’s be bold, not timid.
Did you know it?
- Restoration and other natural solutions can deliver one third of the mitigation needed by 2030 to keep global warming below 2C while also helping societies and economies adapt to climate change.
- Restoring 15% of converted lands in the right places could prevent 60% of projected species extinctions.
- Ecosystem restoration contributes to the achievement of all 17 of the Sustainable Development Goals by their 2030 target date, including the elimination of poverty and hunger.
Join them on Facebook
Usefull websites to preserve the environment
Food waste information: ToGoodToGo
2030 emissions reduction: European Parliament
A sustainable growth strategy: www.farm2fork
Health, quality of life, nature: www.europeangreendeal
Together for biodiversity: www.ensemblepourlabiodiversité
Practical guide: UNEP has published a practical guide to ecosystem restoration that provides an introduction to the range of actions that can slow and halt the degradation of ecosystems and foster their recovery.
Download it here
Individually, how can we participate?
- Consume more SEASONAL fruits and vegetables instead of meat.
- Support local producers.
- Shop in the neighborhood markets. There is one every day.
- To fight against deforestation, buy your wood-based products (furniture, paper, etc.) with the FSC * or PEFC ** label
- Pay attention to the different energy classifications (from A to E)
- Use organic cleaning products (household or hygiene) in order to avoid water pollution with chemicals;
- Sort waste and avoid buying plastic wrapped products. Prefer loose fruit and vegetables or refillable packaging.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, let's participate in the circular economy.
- Change your mobility habits, use public transport, learn about shared mobility, zero energy (getting around by bike, scooter, on foot, etc.)
- Choose companies participating in various energy management programs.
* Forest Stewardship Council
** European Certified Forest Program